Sunday, February 11, 2007


“I AM”


Most commentators make the claim that Yeshua (primarily in the Gospel of John) uses the code word ego eimi (translated “I am”) to equate himself with Yahweh. It is said that, the Greek words ego eimi refer to Yahweh’s statement to Moses in Exodus 3 (Hebrew - `eh'yeh `asher `eh'yeh – “I’ll be what I’ll be”). It is also claimed that the phrase is only used of Yeshua (and Yahweh).

For Yeshua to have used the first person present (I am) in Greek to refer back to the first person cohortative in Hebrew (I'll be being) is a far stretch.

Of course, without resort to complex linguistics, this is demonstrated to be untrue. For, if it were true, the Gospel writer Luke would not have had the messenger Gabriel say (at Luke 1:19) “ego eimi gabriol” (I am Gabriel). Also Luke, would not have had Zachariah, the father of John the baptizer say “ego gar eimi” (I, indeed, am). Even the Gospel writer John has John the baptizer say “ego ouk eimi” (I am not). Matthew recounts (at 26:22) Yeshua’s pupils saying to him “sorrowfully” ego eimi kurio (…I am Lord?).

Of course, these are only a few of the occurrences of the phrase ego eimi, which demonstrate the fallacy of the claim. In fact, the more accurate translation is demonstrated in the account in Matthew 26:22 “it is me.ego eimi (lit. “me I am”).

For example:

Mat 24:5 For many will come in My name, saying, (ego eimi) It is me, the Christ. And they will cause many to be led astray.

Mat 26:22 And grieving exceedingly, they began to say to Him, each of them, Lord, not at all (ego eimi) it is me?

Mat 26:25 Then Yhudah (which betrayed him) answered and said, Rabbi, (ego eimi) is it me? He said unto him, Thou hast said.

Mar 6:50 For they all saw him, and were troubled. And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them, Be of good cheer: (ego eimi) it is me; be not afraid.

John 9:9 Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, (ego eimi) it is me.

And, on and on…

No comments: